I would like to welcome you at the Faculty of Communication and Mass Media…
Message from the Dean
I would like to welcome you to the Faculty of Communication and Mass Media (FCMM). The Faculty has succeeded during the last six years since its establishment in 2014 in clinching a place amongst the top media faculties in the Middle East and North Africa. The Faculty has a longstanding culture of increasing its international partnerships with key international institutions. FCMM has an active partnership with London South Bank University in the UK and this partnership awards the FCMM students a dual degree certified by BUE and LSBU. The Faculty has established exchange programmes that enable BUE students to spend one year abroad in the validating university LSBU. These partnerships and agreements are contributing to boosting the mission of the Faculty which has been set for helping our students in accommodating foreseeable changes in the media industry with a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical experience to be effective, skilled, and ethical critics in a globalized world. Teaching and research in the Faculty are key activities. Therefore, the Faculty is providing the most advanced facilities in the media field and the Faculty has a cluster of highly qualified academic and professional teachers. FCMM is pleased to announce the launch of its first master’s programme in Digital Media that is planned to start 2020/2021. The dual degree programme will be certified by BUE and LSBU.
The success is a message and our FCMM family is proudly willing to deliver many messages.
Dean of Faculty of Communication and Mass Media
The Faculty of Mass Media student population in 2017 exceeded 700 in one programme. Currently the Faculty offers Communication and Mass Media B.Sc. degree programme in four specialisations, including Film and Media Studies, Integrated Marketing Communications, Radio and Television, and Journalism and Media Studies. The student population in this programme is growing. Postgraduate programmes are planned to be developed and presented for approval during the planning period 2017-2022.
The Faculty provides state-of-the-art British education to the intellectually curious and motivated students to accommodate foreseeable changes in the media industry with a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical experience to be effective, skilled, and ethical critics in a globalised world.
The Faculty aspires to be a dynamic communication and media centre of innovation and creativity dedicated to teaching, lifelong learning, professionalism, research, entrepreneurship, and partnership with local, regional and international communities to meet the communication challenges of a globally connected society.
- Ensuring compliance of all programmes with Annual Programme Review process and timely responses to External Examiners, and UK validating partners, whilst maintaining a programme portfolio that remains aligned to UK QAA Benchmarks and ensures an appropriate SSR is maintained for all programmes.
- Achieving NAQAAE accreditation for all programmes, aligned to the University Annual Quality Assurance and Enhancement Cycle.
- Developing a new range of programmes in areas that are aligned with national priorities.
- Establishing targets for programmes to achieve UK professional body accreditation and make relevant applications.
- Improving Annual Achievement and Progression rates by setting annual improvement targets and establishing annual monitoring routines for all programmes.
- Developing a strategy to understand the local job market, to work with employers and alumni so that annual first destination statistics show at least 70% of BUE graduates are employed.
- Ensuring appropriately qualified student intake. Faculties to identify the academic entry requirements and English language requirements for student success for all programmes and to support recruitment process to recruit appropriate students.
- Delivering student services via technology. Faculties to establish faculty and programme infrastructure for the provision of face to face student administrative services.
- At least 10% of students will participate in international student mobility programmes. Faculties to identify cohorts in each programme that would benefit from this approach and to operationalise it.
- Establishing a transitional, multi-disciplinary and interdisciplinary research group.
- Building and strengthening relationships with research funding agencies.
- Enhancing student opportunities to participate in research activities at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Building and developing research activities with the media industry.
- Ensuring compliance of all resources and requirements for the graduate programme.
- Developing a new range of multi-disciplinary and interdisciplinary research programmes in areas that are aligned with the national priorities.
- Recruiting high calibre students and researchers for ensuring excellence, quality, and reputation.
- Networking staff and students with local communities, which are most active in implementing service activities.
- Developing opportunities for students and staff to engage citizens in media literacy and communication for development initiatives.
- Promoting and ensure staff participation in University initiated societal activities.
- Improving publications of Faculty outreach activities in all media platforms.
- Building and strengthening partnerships for community-based and training activities with diverse professional bodies.
- Responding to the societal challenges through teaching and learning and research activities.
- Enhancing the professional skills of media practitioners through adopting the continuous learning approach.
Faculty Operating Principles
In accordance with the University’s core values our operating principles are characterised by:
- Governance that ensures a dual Egyptian/British board and a credible system that ensures transparency and academic independence.
- Quality assurance mechanisms that ensure that standards are equal to those of the British validating institutions and that students have a comparable experience to those in the UK.
- Emphasising student’s self-learning and critical thinking, in order to allow them the ability to excel and continuously develop their creative problem-solving skills.
- A research lead education with the majority of our staff engaged in state of the art relevant research that informs their teaching and curriculum development.
- Industrial engagement and integration with the faculty’s activities and objectives.
- Provision of a wide range of relevant academic disciplines.
- Cultivate the principles of academic ethics and social responsibility.
- Exchange experience with international partners.
- Provide the highest quality education in communication and media.
- Hone knowledge and skills that are distinctive and purposeful to make an impact.
- Development of innovative partnerships with business, industry, and civil society foundations.
- Broaden our horizons and endeavour to leverage globalisation for benefits of society.
- Engage in innovative activities that advance businesses to create value for society.
- Promote a culture of integrity, ethicality and professionalism to contribute meaningfully as citizens of our communities.
- The full engagement and involvement of staff, students and alumni.
- The encouragement of career development for all staff.
- Transparent leadership and management are leading to aligned activity and Faculty development.
CMM Student Union
President of the Student Union of the Faculty
Hyde Park Magazine
It is our pleasure to answer all your questions, submit the form and you’ll hear from us very soon.