The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree offered by BUE is a five year full time programme of study as well as summer modules, and clinical summer training modules aimed primarily at educating and training graduates for efficient dental practice in the new century. Students have to finish successfully 600 credits (575 Credits Faculty core requirements, 20 Credits University requirements, and 5 Credits Elective modules) over the 5 years and summer modules before graduation.
The curriculum is an integrated, competency and learning outcomes-based one intended to provide adequate training for the graduate to practice general dentistry and to instil in the graduate a commitment to learning throughout his/her professional life.
Hence, the dental graduate should possess:
- A thorough understanding of biological and technological sciences to enable the integration and correlation of these sciences with clinical dental practice.
- Competence in diagnosis of oral and dental conditions, disorders, and diseases with proper understanding of the relationship between general and oral disease.
- Skills to provide the preventive and treatment services commonly required in dental practice.
- An understanding of the necessity of continuing education.
- A sense of professional, ethical, and social responsibility.
- The curriculum will be one that provides adequate training for the graduate to practice sound general dentistry and to instil a commitment to learning throughout his/her professional life. It is designed for students who aspire to understand, analyse, forecast, and influence the dental profession at the aggregate as well as the individual level. It is also designed to produce a caring, knowledgeable, competent, and skillful graduate who is able to assume professional responsibility for his/her patients.