Professor Omar H. Karam is the Dean of the Faculty of Informatics and Computer Science at The British University in Egypt (BUE). Dr. Karam obtained his B.Sc. (1980) in Electrical Engineering (Communications and Electro-physics) from Alexandria University, Egypt, and his M.Sc. (1987) and Ph.D. (1993) in Computer Engineering from North Carolina State University, USA. He is on secondment since 2007 from Ain Shams University, Egypt where he is a Professor of Information Systems at the Faculty of Computer and Information Sciences.
Dr. Karam also has extensive professional experience in ICT management. He was previously the Executive Director of the Egyptian Universities Network (EUN) and the Director of the Ain Shams University Research and Education Network (ASUNET). He also worked for the National Telecommunications Institute (NTI) in Cairo. In the Private Sector in Egypt, he was the Technical Director for Link M.E. and a Project Manager with Unitra Communications. Dr. Karam is the author or co-author of more than 60 reviewed publications in international scientific journals and conferences. He is an elected member of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Honour Society “IEEE_HKN”.
- Data Mining
- Data Warehousing
- Interconnection Networks
- ICT in Research and Education
- A. S. Sobh, S. A. Salem, R. Darwish, M. Hussein and O. H. Karam, Unsupervised clustering of materials properties using hierarchical techniques, International Journal of Collaborative Enterprise, Vol. 5, Nos. 1/2, 2015, pp. 74-88.
- Samy Ghoniemy and Omar H. Karam, A high performance optoelectronic machine for automated Arabic-English parallel corpus creation and for Text Mining processing, International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 1, February 2014.
- Omar H. Karam, A Near-Greedy algorithm for data warehouse views selection and its performance guarantees, International Journal of Applied Information Systems, Vol. 6, No. 6, December 2013.
- Samy Ghoniemy and Omar H. Karam, Semantic Network-based Digital Optical Computer Algorithms for Expert Systems and Massively Parallel Knowledge Base Applications, Journal of Next Generation Information Technology, JNIT, Vol. 4, No. 5, July 2013, pp. 133 - 146.
- R. M. Ismail, O. H. Karam, M. A. ElSharkawy, M. S. Abdelwahab, Streaming Real Time Data in Data Warehouses for Just-in-time Views Maintenance, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Applied Computing, Rome, Italy, Novemeber 2009.
- Y. Hormann, H.P Großmann, W. H. Khalifa, M. Salah and O. H. Karam, Simulator for Inter-Vehicle Communication Based on Traffic Modeling, Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Italy, June 2004.
- O. H. Karam, M. A. El Sharkawy, O. Ibrahim and R. Ismail, Performance of the Greedy Interchange Algorithm for Data Warehouse Views Selection Under Maintenance Cost Constraints, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Engineering Systems, Egypt, March 2003.
- O. H. Karam, A. M. Hamad, M. S. El Ghoneimy and S. Rady, Enhancement of Wavelet-Based Medical Image Retrieval Through Feature Evaluation Using an Information Gain Measure, Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Applied Computing, USA, March 2003.
- S. H. Deif, O. H. Karam, S. I. Shaheen and A. Y. Bilal, Optical Fully Shuffled Trees, Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Applied Computing, Italy, March 2000.
- O. H. Karam, Thin Hypercubes for Parallel Computer Architectures. Proceedings of the Eleventh IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, USA, November 1999.
- O. H. Karam and D. P. Agrawal, Shuffled Tree Based Fault Tolerant Hierarchical Interconnection Networks, Interconnection Networks and Mapping and Scheduling Parallel Computations, D. Frank Hsu et al., editors, DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, Vol. 21, 1995, pp. 251-265. American Mathematical Society, 1995.
- O. H. Karam and D. P. Agrawal, Design and Analysis of Generalized Link Extended Hierarchical Interconnection Networks, Proceedings of the Seventh International Parallel Processing Symposium, USA, April 1993.