Dr. Abdullah Gibriel has graduated from the Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University (Egypt) in 2004 (Excellent with honours). Dr. Gibriel worked as a graduate teaching assistant in the Starthclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences (SIPBS, UK) (One of the leading Pharmacy schools in UK) (2005-2008). Dr. Gibriel obtained his PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences (with a speciality in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology) from SIPBS (UK) in 2008. Dr. Gibriel has then worked in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Department at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Ahram Canadian University (ACU, Egypt) (2008-2009). Afterwards, Dr. Gibriel worked as Post-Doctoral Scientist at the University of Glasgow (UK) (One of the Top 100 Universities Worldwide). Dr. Gibriel has then joined the Faculty of Pharmacy at the British University in Egypt (BUE) in 2014. Dr. Gibriel has successfully passed the qualifying exam for Associate Professor degree in 2018 with Distinction (97.5%).
Dr. Gibriel is a member of the following international Societies;
The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB).
The Biochemical Society in UK (BS).
The British Pharmacological Society (BPS).
The American Society for Pharmaceutical and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET).
The Academic Society for Functional Foods and Bioactive Compounds (ASFFBC).
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO).
PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences (SIPBS) Strathclyde University, UK (One of the leading Pharmacy schools in UK)
Thesis title: Visual Transduction Proteins And Their Involvement In Retinal Disease.
Postdoctoral Scientist in Glasgow University, UK (One of the Top 100 Universities Worldwide)
BSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences, (Excellent with Honours), Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Egypt.
- To understand how cells communicate and cross-talk to each other through complex machinery of biological processes that are controlled precisely at both molecular and proteomic levels in both healthy and diseased conditions prior to offering optimal therapeutic strategies for various diseases.
- System biology and to investigate the nature of protein interactions in cell signaling pathways.
- I am interested in using microarray and qRT-PCR as powerful tools for the determination of differential gene expression in cells treated with various inducers and drugs and also to search for new and reliable biomarkers for early diagnosis, prognosis and drug monitoring as well.
- Setting up various in-vitro models for screening and examining new chemical moieties , existing and new drug classes with deep investigation for molecular & proteomic mechanisms.
- Identifying novel biological targets and their involvement in various disease conditions prior to designing potential compounds against various diseases
- Investigating the possibility of repositioning existing drugs for the treatment of several other diseases as economical approach for developing countries.
- Studying mechanisms underlying age related diseases such as presbycusis and senescence with possible investigation of suitable targets, epigenetic and molecular markers
- Screening for genetic mutations and epigenetic markers and to link them with their corresponding diseases through the use of high-throughput techniques such as microarrays & NGS.
- Investigate the association between various genetic SNPs and drug response and/or toxicity and their application in clinical field.
- Use of biochemical assays to monitor and evaluate the effect of drugs, synthetic and medicinal plant compounds on various diseases such as cancer, osteoporosis, obesity, NASH, Fibrosis and HCC.
- Applying nanotechnology approach for diagnosing, monitoring, evaluating and treating various diseases.
- Mohamady S, Gibriel AA, Ahmed MS, Hendy M, Naguib B. Design and Novel Synthetic Approach Supported with Molecular Docking and Biological Evidence for Naphthoquinone-Hydrazinotriazolothiadiazine Analogs as Potential Anticancer Inhibiting Topoisomerase-IIB. BioOrg Chem, (IF 3.99). 2020. doi.org/10.1016/j.bioorg.2020.103641
- El-Maraghy SA, Adel O, Zayed N, Yosry A, El-Nahaas SM, Gibriel AA. Circulatory miRNA-484, 524, 615 and 628 expression profiling in HCV mediated HCC among Egyptian patients; implications for diagnosis and staging of hepatic cirrhosis and fibrosis. JAR (IF 6.3), 2019. 22; 57-66.
- Gibriel AA, Abou-Elew MH, Masmoudi S. Analysis of p.Gly12Valfs*2, pTrp24* and p.Trp77Arg mutations in GJB2 And p.Arg81Gln Variant in LRTOMT Among Non Syndromic Hearing Loss Egyptian Patients: Implications For Genetic Diagnosis. Mol Biol Rep. 2019 Apr;46 (2):2139-2145. doi: 10.1007/s11033-019-04667-0. Epub 2019 Feb 7.
- Bouzid A, Smeti I, Chakroun A, Loukil S, Gibriel AA, Grati M, Ghorbel A, Masmoudi S. CDH23 Methylation Status and Presbycusis Risk in Elderly Women. Front Aging Neurosci 2018 Aug 7;10:241. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2018.00241.
- Abdel-Wahhab MA, El-Nekeety AA, Hassan NS, Gibriel AAY, Abdel-Wahhab KG. Encapsulation of cinnamon essential oil in whey protein enhances the protective effect against single or combined sub-chronic toxicity of fumonisin B1 and/or aflatoxin B1 in rats. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 2018 Oct;25(29):29144-29161. doi: 10.1007/s11356-018-2921-2
- Bouzid A, Smeti I, Dhouib L, Roche M, Achour I, Khalfallah A, Gibriel AA, Charfeddine I, Ayadi H, Lachuer J, Ghorbel A, Petit C, Masmoudi S. Down-expression of P2RX2, KCNQ5, ERBB3 and SOCS3 through DNA hypermethylation in elderly women with presbycusis. Biomarkers 2018 Jan 31:1-10.
- Gibriel AA. Adel O. Advances in ligase chain reaction and ligation based amplifications for genotyping assays; detection and applications. Mut Res Journal (IF 6.4). 2017; Vol 773, pp 66-90.
- Chakchouk I, Ben Said M, Jbeli F, Benmarzoug R, Loukil S, Smeti I, Chakroun A, Abdullah Gibriel, Ghorbel A, Hadjkacem H, Masmoudi S. 2015. NADf chip, a two-color microarray for simultaneous screening of multigene mutations associated with hearing impairment in the North African Mediterranean Countries. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics (IF 5.5). 2015; 17(2):155-61.
- Faten Rmida, Arwa Kammoun, Nadia Mahfoudh, Adnene Ayadi, AA Gibriel, Bakhta Mallek,Leila Maalej, Zouheir Hammami, Samir Maatoug, Hafedh Makni, Saber Masmoudi. 2015. Genetic diversity and haplotype structure of 21 Y-STRs, including nine non-core loci, in South Tunisian Population: Forensic Relevance. Electrophoresis; 2015 Dec;36(23):2908-13.
- E. Motawe, AAY Gibriel, HM Ebeid, HM AL-Sayed, SA Elbehairy. Antioxidant effect of wheat, carrot and mango leaves as nutraceutical agents against hepatocellular toxicity. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2015, 3:1-4.
- M. Jiwaji, R. Daly, A. Gibriel , G. Barkess, P. McLean, J. Yang, K. Pansare, A. McLauchlan, M. Girolami, A. West, K. West, W. Kolch and A. Pitt. The Molecular Nose: a unique reporter-based sensor platform to monitor signalling in cells. Plos One (2012); 7(11): e50521.
- S. A. Ahmed, A Gibriel, A. K. Abdellatif, H. M. Ebied. 2015. Evaluation of food products fortified with oyster shell for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. JFST. 2015 Oct;52(10):6816-20.
- A. Gibriel, R. J. Tate, Y. Yu, E. Lax, H. M. Hammer, J. N. A. Tettey, N. J. Pyne and C. A. Converse. The p.Arg86Gln change in GARP2 (Glutamic Acid-Rich Protein-2) is a common West African-related polymorphism. Gene (2013); 515 (1): 155- 158.
- A. A. Gibriel, R. J. Tate, H. M. Hammer, J. N. A. Tettey, N. J. Pyne, and C. A. Converse. A Survey of GARP2 in Retinitis Pigmentosa. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007 48: E- 1660.
- AAY Gibriel. Options available for labeling nucleic acids samples in DNA microarray based detection methods. Briefings in Functional Genomics. (2012); 11 (4): 311-318.
- Attia YM, Tawfiq R, Ali AA, Gibriel AA, Hammam OA, Elmazar MM. Effect of the farnesoid X receptor agonist, obeticholic acid, in hepatocellular carcinoma: Is it NASH-dependent or -independent? In preparation.
- Gibriel AA, Abou-Elew MH, Masmoudi S. Sequential analysis of GJB2 mutations in Non Syndromic Hearing Loss Egyptian Patients. In preparation.
- Abouelyosr AH, Gibriel AA. In vivo adipose genetic studies for Egyptian herbal extracts; Possible remedies for obesity. In preparation.
- Gibriel AA, Anany A, Arrab ME, Azzazy H. Investigating exosomal RNA expression in HCC patients. In preparation.
- Gibriel AAY.; Tate RJ.; Yu Y.; Rawson-Lax E.; Hammer HM.; Tetty JNA.; Pyne NJ.; Converse CA. The Arg86Gln change in GARP2 (Glutamic Acid-Rich Protein-2) is not linked to retinitis pigmentosa but rather is a West African-related polymorphism. NCBI dbSNP Short Genetic Variations.
- I have participated in the National Cancer Institute (NCI) S conference that was held in City Stars Hotel in Nov 2019 where my M.Sc student presented a poster and was awarded third place.
- I have participated in the ICPS conference that was held in Hilton Hotel in 2018 where my M.Sc student gave an oral talk.
- I have participated in the 2nd ICPASU that was held in Novotel Cairo Airport Hotel in 2018 and my 2 M.Sc students presented two posters.
- I have participated in the ESPET conference that was held in BUE premises in 2018 where my M.Sc student gave an oral talk.
- I gave an oral talk in the 10th international conference "Breast, Gynecological and Immunological International Cancer Conference" that was held in Fairmont Towers Hotel in 2018.
- I participated in the GUC workshop entitled “Biochemistry & Molecular Biology in the 21st century "Bridges to Translational Medicine & Pharmaceutical Sciences” that was held in 2018.
- I gave an oral talk in the 1st Annual conference on Molecular Biology and Biotechnology "Advances in Genomics, NGS and RNA sequencing" that was held in 2017 in Ain-Shams Guest House.
- I have organized the International conference (Novel Disease Marker) that was held in the premises of BUE in 2016. I also gave an oral talk beside organization.
- I gave an oral talk in the conference organized by the National Committee for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASRT) that was held in 2015 in Ain-Shams University Housing.
- I have been invited as an oral speaker in the 15th International Conference of FFC – Third International Symposium of ASFFBC: Mental, Neurological and other Chronic Disorders: Bio-markers, Bioactive Compounds, and Functional Foods that was held in Regensburg (Germany) May 2014.
- I presented an oral talk during the 54th ESPET conference in 2014 in the premises of BUE.
- I have been chosen by the International Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) to participate in the 2nd post EURRASNET workshop “RNA alternative splicing” that was held in Trieste, Italy in Nov 2013.
- I have been selected to be an oral speaker at the 28th Annual Congress in Quality and Medicine (March 2013) at Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt.
- I gave an oral talk in the 8th Advances in microarray technology conference that was held in Edinburgh, UK (2012).
- I attended the 7th Advances in microarray technology conference held in Hamburg, Germany (July 2011) and presented a poster. I was also shortlisted as a reserve speaker in that conference.
- I gave a talk in the Advanced Topics in Cell Model system (CMS3) workshop held in Rome, Italy in the Italian national research council (Tor Vergata) in 2010.
- I participated in the ISOCB (International Society for Ocular Cell Biology) conference held in Cambridge in September 2006 and submitted a poster.
- I attended the Bioscience 2006 conference in Glasgow, UK in July 2006 and presented a poster.
- I participated in the 6th congress of the European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics held in Istanbul, Turkey in June 2003.
- I also participated in the student conference on "Visions for Science and Technology in the New Millennium" in July 2001 in Denmark. I presented a poster in this conference.
- I participated in the student congress and main congress on challenges of science and technology held in Uppsala and Stockholm (Sweden) in June, 2000. I presented a paper in this congress.
Supervised 2 PhD student, 7 M.Sc Students & Many Final year students with their graduation projects since 2006.
I am collaborating with renowned scientists with National & International experience who are specialized in various fields in Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Molecular Biology, Pharmaceutical & Organic chemistry, Microbiology, Radiology, Phytochemistry and Pharmaceutics
* I have been awarded the BUE Best publication Award in 2018.
* I received an appreciation Award for delivering a talk in the 10th international conference "Breast, Gynaecological and Immunological International Cancer Conference" that was held in Fairmont Towers Hotel (18-19th Jan 2018)
* In 2018, I received 2017 Scopus Award from BUE for my research output that is published in international peer-reviewed journals with the highest impact factor.
* I have received the ICG grant from BUE in 2018.
* I am a Co-PI in one of the STDF (Science and Technology Development Fund) research grants (1,500,000 LE) and have been asked along with my team members to give an oral talk in front of the applicability panel for final approval.
* I have been awarded the BUE-Young Investigator Research Grant (BUEYIRG) in 2017
* I am a Co-PI in the awarded BUE-Young Investigator Research Grant (BUE-YIRG) in 2016.
* I have been awarded the BUE Best publication Award in 2016.
* I have received an appreciation award and a trophy from the Egyptian National Committee for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Academy of Scientific Research & Technology (ASRT) in November 2016
* I have been awarded the BUE-Young Investigator Research Grant (BUEYIRG) in 2015
* I have received Research Appreciation Award from the Egyptian Society Of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics during the 54th conference for the Egyptian Society Of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics in 2014 for my talk about microarray application in drug profiling.
* I have received Research Appreciation Award from the Egyptian Society Of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics in 2014.
* I was successful in getting a research grant from the Ministry of Scientific Research in Egypt.