Upon his return from the UK, Prof Abbas joined one of the private higher education institutions in Egypt, where he helped develop the curriculum of the Mechatronics Engineering department. Prof Abbas worked on several research projects and taught various design and automation courses at his last post.
Prof Abbas joined the BUE in 2006 to co-establish the Mechanical Engineering Programme. Since then, he was involved in the establishment of an up-to-date curriculum and its continuous review and development. Together with the Head of Department, their efforts culminated in the successful validation of the programme by Loughborough University, and subsequently London South Bank University, according to the QAA regulations which was achieved in August 2007 and sustained ever since. He acted as the departmental Teaching and Learning Coordinator since validation. During his affiliation with the BUE, Prof Abbas was assigned several developmental tasks at the Faculty, as well as, the University levels. These tasks included; Student Transfer Coordinator for the Faculty, member of the University IT Committee, member of the university eLearning committee, in addition to the Manger of the BUE website. In September 2013, Prof Abbas was appointed Programme Director for the Mechanical Engineering programme until he relinquished the position in October 2017. Prof Abbas is serving as the Head of the Mechanical Engineering department in September 2019. Under his leadership, a new state of the art undergraduate programme in Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering was established. It was promptly accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities of Egypt and validated by London South Bank University.
Prof Abbas has extensive experience in the areas of design education, kinematics and dynamics of machines and robotics and automation studies. Over the years, he has developed tailored software applications using a wide variety of software environments including Artificial Intelligence techniques. He has several published journal and conference papers in these fields. Dr Abbas also acted as an initiator for Robot Contests in Egypt and has supervised teams successfully on the local, regional and international levels.
Dr. Abbas graduated with First Class B.Sc. (Honours) in Design and Production Engineering in 1992 from Shoubra Faculty of Engineering, Zagazig University. Dr. Abbas obtained his Ph.D. in 1998 from the University of Strathclyde, UK, in Computer Aided Design.
- Robot mobility
- Behaviour based control for autonomous robotics
- AI in robotics
- Applications in Renewable Energy
- Design Automation
- Walid Tarek Kortam, Ayman Abbas and Ahmed A.A. Attia, "Geothermal Energy Potential of Egypt – Review Paper", International Advanced Research Journal in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-6, 2022
- Omar Hamouda, Dr. Ayman Abbas and Prof. Ahmed Attia, "Improving the Efficiency of Energy Storage System Using Compressed Carbon Dioxide in a Three Stage Turbine and Two Saline Aquifers System with Different Pressure Gradient", International Advanced Research Journal in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 45-59, 2021
- Amir Ayyad, Ayman Abbas and Nabil Elminshawy, "A simulation study of the effect of post-combustion amine-based carbon-capturing integrated with solar thermal collectors for combined cycle gas power plant". Discover Sustainability, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2021
- Hoda Abuzied, Ayman Abbas, Mohamed Awad, Hesham Senbel, "Investigation of Active Disassembly in Large Force Applications", ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 143, No. 2, 021011, 2021
- Hoda Abuzied, Ayman Abbas, Mohamed Awad and Hesham Senbel, "Usage of shape memory alloy actuators for large force active disassembly applications", Heliyon, Vol. 6, No. 8, 2020
- Hoda Abuzied, Hesham Senbel, Mohamed Awad and Ayman Abbas, "A Review of Advances in Design for Disassembly". Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 618-624, 2020.
- Omar Geneidy, Walaa S.E. Ismaeel & Ayman Abbas, “A Critical Review for Applying Three-Dimensional Concrete Wall Printing Technology in Egypt”, Architectural Science Review, Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 438-452 2019.
- N. A. Abou-Ghattas, A. Abbas, H. H. El-Ghetany, “Modeling of an Energy Saving Solar Water Heating System for Industrial Low Temperature Applications”. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 4774-4784, March 2019.
- Anwar Sahbel, Ayman Abbas, and Tariq Sattar, "Experimental and Numerical Optimization of Magnetic Adhesion Force for Wall Climbing Robot Applications," International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 18-24, January 2019.
- Ayman Abbas, Tamer A. Mohamed and Mohannad Hazem, “Optimization of Warehouse Material Handling Parameters to Enhance the Efficiency of Automated Sorting and Storage Systems”. Journal for Management and Engineering Integration, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp 72-84, Summer 2018.
- Anwar Sahbel, Ayman Abbas, Omar Howlader and Tariq Sattar, “Experimental and Numerical Optimisation of Magnetic Adhesion Force for Wall Climbing Robot Applications”. The 2017 International Conference on Robotics and Mechatronics (ICRoM 2017). Hong Kong, 12-14 December 2017.
- Ayman Abbas, “A Comparative Study of the Accuracy of Various Artificial Intelligence Techniques in Avoiding Obstacles by Mobile Robots”. The 2017 World Congress on Advances in Nano, Bio, Robotics and Energy (ANBRE17). Ilsan (Seoul), Korea, 28 August - 1 September 2017.
- Ayman Abbas and Andrew Edison, “Employing Shape Memory Alloys as Efficient Rapid Robotic Joint Actuators”. The 2017 World Congress on Advances in Nano, Bio, Robotics and Energy (ANBRE17). Ilsan (Seoul), Korea, 28 August - 1 September 2017.
- Ayman S. Abbas, Tamer A. Mohamed and Mohamed G. Hafez, “Improving Localization Accuracy of Autonomous Guided Vehicles for Material Handling Applications”. The Journal of Management and Engineering Integration, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp 91-100, Summer 2014.
- Ayman Abbas and Khaled El-Geneidy, “Development of a Hybrid Technique Utilising Image Processing and Fuzzy Logic for Dynamically Detecting a Movable Colour Object”. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 389 (2013), pp 734-739.
- Ayman Abbas and Khaled El-Geneidy, “Application of Image Processing and Fuzzy Logic to Mobile Robots Providing Assistance to Fire Fighters”. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 389 (2013), pp 740-746.