Dina Kafafy is currently a part-time lecturer at the British University in Egypt, and is also a Senior Technical Advisor, at the Egyptian National Competitiveness Council (ENCC), where she has been working since 2008 and held the positions of Deputy to the Executive Director and Chief Technical Officer, and contributed to several editions of the Egyptian Competitiveness Reports. She holds a Bachelor and Masters Degrees from the American University in Cairo (AUC), and a PhD from the Faculty of Economics and Political Science, Cairo University. Her thesis title was the “Impact of Globalization on Labor Markets of Developing Countries: Egypt as a Case study”. She has previously taught Macroeconomics at the Modern Sciences and Arts (MSA) University in Egypt, and worked with a number of development institutions' projects, including the USAID's project, Technical Assistance for Policy Reform (TAPRII), where she served as the Senior Economic and Communication Advisor; supporting the establishment of ERRADA (Egyptian Regulatory Reform) initiative. She also served previously as the Technical Advisor for the "Salheya Training for Employment Initiative", undertaken jointly by the Ministry of Manpower and UN Women regional office, and as the Technical Coordinator for the Youth Employment Promotion Advocacy Forum established by the International Labor Organization and the German Development Agency (GIZ) in 2013. She also has previous experience in financial media, as she served as an Economic News Reader and Head of Economic Programs Department, at the News Sector of the Egyptian Radio and Television Union. She has been a recipient of the “British Chevening Scholarship", a media training program at the B.B.C. World Service Training Trust, in the United Kingdom in 1988.
Modules Taught: 20ECON09I Labour Economics
- PhD, Cairo University, Faculty of Economics and Political Science: Economics Department; “Impact of Globalization on Labor Markets of Developing Countries: Egypt as a Case study”
- Master of Arts, American University in Cairo, Faculty of Economics & Political Science: Economics Department
- Bachelor of Arts: Major Economic, American University in Cairo
Labour Economics, Economic Development, Competitiveness and Economic Globalization.
Egyptian Competitiveness Reports:
· Co-author:" The ENCC in Ten Years: A Decade of Aspirations, Achievements, and Challenges" in the Tenth Egyptian Competitiveness Report (2015.
· Co-author: “Tourism Competitiveness: A Strategic Vision for Economic and Social Success” Co-Author, in the Ninth Egyptian Competitiveness Report (2013).
· Chief Technical Coordinator: the Ninth Egyptian Competitiveness Report “Towards Sustainable Competitiveness: Restructuring Institutions in Egypt” (2013).
- Senior Economist: the “Labor Market Assessment Study”; a Base Line Research Study for the USAID “Workforce Improvement and Skills Enhancement (WISE)” Project (2016).
- Member of the Technical Team: “Building a Competitiveness Framework for Education and Training in Egypt” (2011)