Q1. When do I choose my specialisation?  
Specialisation starts in the second semester of year 2 after prep.  

Q2. How do I choose my specialisation?  
The first 2 years offer modules that cover different specializations for you to know which kinds of courses do you enjoy most. Also, close to the end of the first semester in the second year, a seminar is held to describe what is expected for each specialization.  

Q3. Where are the offices of my module leaders?  
Please check the profile of your module leader and you will find his/her office number and exact location.  

Q4. Will my degree be accepted inside and outside Egypt?  
Yes. All degrees at the BUE are fully Validated by BUE’s partner Universities in UK.  

Q5. What is the impaired performance and what is the purpose of it?  
The department explains to the student the importance of the impaired performance in the emergency situations. They should fill the application of the impaired performance, if they were sick, if someone died or if they had an accident which affected their performance during the semester. Then a committee will take place to decide whether the assessment they missed is going to be re-done again or will be considered as 2nd attempt.  

Q6. Are there any optional modules?  
Modules in the first three years are all mandatory according to specialization. For year 3 after prep, there are 3 optional modules to select from the list of offered courses of the semester.  

Q7. Do I need mathematics for computer science?  
Mathematics knowledge and skills are important for designing and analyzing correct programs, creating secure systems and accurate modelling of information. The mathematical knowledge needed for computer science are covered in discrete mathematics, probability & statistics, calculus and numerical techniques courses.  

Q8. How much coursework do I need to do?  
Each module will have different requirements for the coursework. Usually, there is a single project or 2 assignments per module with deadlines distributed across the semester.  

Q9. How many years is the ICS degree?  
4 years (prep + 3 years)  

Q10. Can I study my master’s degree at the BUE?  
Yes, there is a web science master’s program. Please check our post-graduate studies section  

Q11. Where can I find the materials to study?  
The e-learning system will contain the lecture slides, tutorials and links to useful resources on the internet. You can also find the course’s textbook(s) in the library. It is also recommended that you use your self-taken notes during the lectures/tutorials to search for online material for your self-study.  

Q12. Do I need to have a programming background before entering ICS?  
No, programming will be introduced in the preparatory year. However, you are encouraged to start learning programming before entering to get an idea of what to expect.  

Q13. Where can I start to learn about computer science?  
Check out studio.code.you can also check the different book references in the different modules.  

Q14. What about the amount of fees and whether there are available scholarships for undergraduate students and the required scores to obtain the scholarship?  
You can check http://www.bue.edu.eg/index.php/admissions-aid/undergraduate/tuition-fees for the tuition fees and http://www.bue.edu.eg/index.php/scholarships-2 for scholarship information. Students are instructed to contact the Student Admission to ask about further information because they are the specialized committee in these matters.  

Q15. How to apply for a programme in the faculty of Informatics and computer science?
Read the admissions section in our general booklet. This can also be downloaded at www.bue.edu.eg “a link shall be giving to the admission department” Submit an application online at www.bue.edu.eg Call the BUE Hotline and speak to a member of staff in the Student Affairs Department in you require further information - 19(BUE) 19283  

Q16. What are the admissions and visa requirements for international students?
You can contact the administration department, or you can also contact Samah Mettawie at: ICSadmin@bue.edu.eg /Samah.Mettawie@bue.edu.eg

Q17. What are the Specializations in Faculty of Informatics & Computer Science at the British University in Egypt?
Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering and Computer Networks

Q18. When to Apply?
The early admissions period begins in January of each academic year. Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to secure a place in their chosen programme of study. Once programmes are full the applicants will be placed on a waiting list.  

Q19. What kinds of jobs are appropriate for students who graduate with an ICS degree?
Opportunities are almost limitless in the information technology and computing world. There are numerous avenues you could follow, most with attractive salaries. With the worldwide shortage of IT personnel, you have an open door to the entire planet! Informatics and Computer Science is an exciting, dynamic field. In fact, the demand for computing and other information technology skills worldwide far exceeds the supply, so if you are willing to go the distance, a career in Informatics and Computer Science assures you employment. If you study Informatics and Computer Science you have a number of potential careers including the following:
  • Systems Analyst/Designer: responsible for researching, planning and recommending software and systems choices to meet an organisation’s business requirements. Systems analysts are normally responsible for developing cost analysis, design considerations, implementation timelines, and general feasibility studies of a computer system before making recommendations to senior management.
  • Software Engineer: responsible for creating and maintaining software applications by applying technologies and practices from computer science, project management, engineering, application domains and other fields.
  • Network Specialists: responsible for designing, setting up, maintaining, and securing a computer network. Network specialists often work in, or run, the IT department of a company.
  • Computer Programmer/Web Developer: responsible for the design, development and maintenance of software and applications.
  • Database Administrator: responsible for the planning, implementation, configuration, and administration of database management systems.  
Q20. How will I learn and be assessed?
Teaching involves a mix of lectures, tutorials, group work, private study and practical activities. Assessment involves submitting coursework, sitting exams, presentations and projects. Students are also encouraged to obtain internships.  

Q21. Where is the location of ICS Building?
ICS Faculty is in building G. For more details please refer to the Campus map.
Q22. Where can I find my Advisor?
At the beginning of the new Academic Year, Prep Year Coordinator will send an e-mail to all students with the name of the Advisor/personal Tutor.

Q23.What is the difference between Academic Misconduct Committee (AMC) & Disciplinary Committee (DC)?
  • AMC deals with both plagiarism and any act that breaks the regulations in the exam hall.
  • In both cases; an Academic Misconduct Committee (AMC) is assembled in order to look into the case and decide on the appropriate punishment as per the General Academic Regulations (GAR)
  • DC deals with any non academic act inside or outside the lectures.
  • The Faculty forms a committee to set the punishment as per the Law Regulating the Universities.
  • The student has the right to appeal against the decision to a Higher DC.
Q24. How we advise students to get help and information?
  • In case of inquiries regarding transcript ask: Quality & Validation (Q & V).
  • In case of inquiries regarding admission procedures ask: Admission.
  • In case of inquiries regarding student absence forms, IP forms or others ask: ICS Administration Office.
  • In case of any questions regarding any module or any of its components ask: Either the Module Leader (ML) or the module’s Teaching Assistant (TA).
  • In case of any general questions or study related issues refer to your Personal Tutor.
Q25.  When to fill a Student Absence form or an Impaired performance (IP) form?
  • Student absence form: In case of sickness or another verified reason where a student misses attendance of lectures, labs, or tutorials, the student has to fill a student absence form.
  • IP form: In case of sickness or another verified reason where a student misses deadlines for submitting assignments, presentations, or tests, the student has to fill an IP form.
Q26. How can Q & V help students? 
Q & V Advices the students on the following topics: 
  • Writing an Academic Appeal (AP)
  • How to receive Transcripts, Module Specification & Degree Certificates. 
  • Exams, (exams dates, exam timetable & results for each semester during the academic year) 
  • Allocating special needs students an individual exam location and/or extra time during exams. In this case the students must notify about their case early on. 

Contact US


El Sherouk City , Suez Desert Road , Cairo 11837 - P.O. Box 43


19283 , +202 26890000 , +202 26300013 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18