- Email: email@example.com
- Building: B
- Employee type: Full-time
- Extension Number: 1436
- Room: 102 B Building
- Education History:
Degrees: Field Institution Date of Achievement
B.Sc. In Architecture Assiut University, Egypt 6/1984
M.Sc. In Architecture Assiut University, Egypt 4/1990
Ph.D. In Architecture University of York, UK 1/1995
Professor and the former head of Architecture Department at the British University in Egypt, and the founding director of the Centre of Sustainability and Future Studies (CSFS). His profession is Architecture and Urban Planning/Design. Prof. Ahmed Rashed was the chair of Architectural Engineering Department, Mansoura University, Egypt from July 2004 to September 2008. Got his Ph.D. January 1995, in Architecture Planning and Conservation, University of York, Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies, UK. Graduated from Assiut University, Egypt 1984. M.Sc. in Architecture from Assiut University, Egypt 1990. He worked as professor at different universities in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Prof. Rashed published about 60 academic papers in international conferences and magazines. COMPETITION CHAIRMAN: TAKING LEAVE ..............An International Competition 25 January “The City of the Egyptian Dream” Writing the History of our Future. Oganized by The Centre for Sustainability and Future Studies of the British University in Egypt, in conjunction with the M. Farid Khamis Foundation for Social Development and in partnership with governmental and non-governmental organizations. CONFERENCE CHAIRMAN: THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONVERSANCE AND COMPETITION ON SUSTAINABILITY AND THE FUTURE, THE BRITISH UNIVERSITY IN EGYPT (NOVEMBER 2010) Prof, Rashed is the president of (AGTBE) The Association of Graduates & Trainees from Britain in Egypt from March 2013, the Vice President of the Arab Academic Architects Society and Egypt representative since May 2013 and the Member Board of The Egyptian Society of Architects June 2011 Awarded the best paper prize for the Fifth Gathering Egyptian Engineering in Riyadh: engineering Strategies to Support the Development, Riyadh, 15 -17 May, 2013. The paper titled: Strategic Planning, Youth Empowerment and Scientific Research: An Approach for Sustainable Development in Egypt. Awarded the best Paper titled “Modeling of VLS-PV Community for Desert Sustainable Development; the Case of Development Corridor, Egypt”, 10th International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations (ICEBO 2010), Kuwait, October 26 - 28, 2010. The Centre of Sustainability and Future Studies is one of four centres of the BUE. CSFS has emerged as a Research and Development (R&D) Centre to address future sustainability in terms of environmental, economic, and social challenges through the engagement of students, academic staff and researchers. The CSFS is envisioned to propose a suit of creative comprehensive solutions that tackle the future from a sustainable point of view. The centre is playing a challengeable role after the 25th revolution with seeking to have a better future for Egypt through sustainable development.
- Fields of Interest:
Activities of the Centre
of Sustainability and Future Studies (CSFS)
The Centre of Sustainability and Future Studies (CSFS) was a result of the success of the First International Conference on Sustainability and the Future (23-25 November 2010). The Centre has emerged as an important part of the BUE's efforts to address future sustainability in terms of environmental, economic, and social challenges through the engagement of students, academic staff and researchers. The CSFS is envisioned to propose a suit of creative comprehensive solutions that tackle the future from a
sustainable point of view. The Centre of Sustainability and Future Studies focuses its efforts in establishing a data bank for innovative and visionary ideas. It also supports future studies in different fields such as urban development and future architecture. In addition, it implements GIS in documentation and decision support. The centre will have three different units of the centre of:
1. Innovation, creativity and bank of ideas unit.
2. Research and scientific studies unit
3. International cooperation GIS and Decision support unit
On November 2013 the Centre of Sustainability and Future Studies (CSFS), the British University in Egypt (BUE) and Luxor Governorate signed MoU and then on December 2013 organized a workshop titles "Partnership, Sustainability and the Chances".
On 21st May 2014, under patronage of Luxor government and preparation of Center
for Sustainability and Future Studies British University in Egypt, it has been announced and invited to Luxor Olympiad through three international competitions for Luxor, Egypt.
The first competition : "Luxor civilization" from the womb of civilization,
civilization will generate, Luxor, is the unified capital of Egypt, looking for
itself between the installed historical civilization, and the aimed challenges
of civilization where social responsibility is a need to establish the values
and concepts for sustainable development based on the necessity of providing
the requirements and needs of the quality of life through collective conscience
and work from the bottom to the top, and the responsibility of the popular
sector , community , Luxor , Egyptian and the world, to be Luxor (civilization)
is an opportunity to what we can work , as partners , the government and ,
private sector , investors , experts and citizen and social talks, efforts of
scientific research and a real possibility for sustainable development to reach
the outcomes and scenarios , proposals and projects sustainable for the
development of Luxor in all disciplines ( heritage , culture and tourism and
Egyptology , housing and architecture , urban , and green economy ,
agriculture, industry and renewable energies and Technology) in the competition
to understand the responsibility of civilization .
The second competition : " Luxor a global marketing
sign and intellectual property rights " , Luxor is layers of successive history
, and the capital of human civilization and it has heritage , distinct
monuments and every site deserves to be a marketing registered sign ,the local
community of each area linked with industry production and emphasizes on the
subjectivity and value . Luxor is : A set of heritage environments of temples
of Karnak , Luxor, Al Kebash road , the tombs of the Valley of the Kings ... etc
, which can be more than 15 heritage environment have the archaeological
heritage and urban to be as a shrine with its own program and registered date
mark and put it in imagine logo and features quality brand marketing product
for specific cultural and entertainment to each environment within the tourism
program for the city of Luxor. Integrates with the goal of marketing and
heritage environments Luxor open dialogue for lover of civilization of Luxor
and the Egyptian society and the global intellectual property rights for each
of the profiteering of recruitment and reproduction of Egyptian heritage in
profitable projects spread across the world. Make the sign of the Egyptian
heritage distinct marketing and profiting with the originally suffers of
necessities of funding.
Third competition: Tales of Luxor is nostalgic and
dream : the dream of those who have not visited and nostalgic to those have
visited , Luxor is shorter stories , fairy tales , stories , memories , arts ,
poetry , literature , pictures , painted , statue and film . This will be a
competition the cornerstone of the Luxor Museum and Website of Luxor tales and
visitor center of Qurna heritage on west coast , the competition will achieve
the goal of the other two competitions it confirm that the " Luxor is
civilization ," and that " Luxor sign marketing and intellectual property
rights " anyone who share in those competitions among his documents write his
story and take part in the contest Luxor tales.
- Projects Supervised:
Sharing with Dr. Tarek Rashed the consultancy office
for Architecture and Urban Planning studies Dr. Tarek Rashed is an Assistant
Professor, Department of Geography (Currently on leave), University of
Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma, USA, and Now he is working as Senior GIS Consultant
from OCT 2008 at ESEI Northeast Africa (NeA), Cairo, Egypt (His C.V) is
Between 2004 and 2008:
1- The Master Plan Report for the SEZone -MDC Project, Suez, Egypt from January till August 2008 to produce a High Resolution GIS concurrent (Site Map) with updating the
High Level Master Plan, The objective of this Consultancy is to provide support to the MDC to produce specific tasks to complete the preliminary High Level Master Plan previously prepared for the area owned by MDC (20.4 Km2).
2- Architecture and Urban Planning Consultant and Project Director: "Madenaty City" (Talat Mostafa 8000 Feddans), as the project director of the first stage within Space Consultant office. The main issue was how the investment packages will be the possible way for development of a new city ruled by the private sector.
3- Project Director, "Future City"
(The Arab Contractors 11.000 Feddans), when the first prize for planning and strategies
4- GIS and Rural Planning Consultant, the National project for the future village planning 2022 in Egypt, for about 19 villages on three governorates (Kafr El Sheikh, Bani Sawaif, and Behira) with GIS and Strategic Planning
5- Architecture Historian and Coordinator, Survey and documentation for Damanhor strategic planning, with the GIS documentation and strategic planning 2022.
6- GIS Consultant, GIS studies for the Shrook project for 12 governorates financed by the OUDA
7- The head of committee of Dakhalia Governorate for the National Organization for Urban
Harmony: (representing the Minster of culture) duties the documentation and surveying of Dakhalia Heritage.
8- Member of The National Organization for Urban Harmony for the central cities criteria and principles
Modules taught in both semesters of academic year 2014/15: Semester
14ARCH25H BSc. Design Project (first)
14ARCH06H Research Dissertation (first)
14ARCH25H BSc. Design Project (second)
14ARCH06H Research Dissertation (second)
14ARCH10H Sustainability and the Built Environment (second)
- Research projects:
Forecasting Urban Revolutions: Spatial Modelling of Urban Stability in the
Contemporary City". The CSFS will be the Local partner with Queen's University
Belfast submitted to the Arts and Humanities research Council Standard grant.
The proposal sent on 20th of June 2014.
Submitted to the President of BUE a Proposal for the establishment of a practical branch of the Centre of Sustainability and Future studies With the Weavers for Tourism in Qusier- Marsa Alam And collaboration with universities (Enna Core) and (Calgary), Italy and
other European universities (To be competitors with El Gouna and the Technical
University of Berlin)
Applied to the Ministry of Agriculture a proposal of how to start new communities within the imitative of (NOAH ARCK) September 2013.
Applied to the USAID for a project titled: Youth Exchange for Global Sustainable Communities for budget $ 100000 aimed to Develop a global rural model based on lessons learned using the Basaisa (40 years) and New Basaisa (20 years) Egyptian communities, the taking leave initiative and competition and the Thunder Valley Community Development Corporation (5 years) on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota as models for sustainable community development . There is particular focus on
engaging unemployed youth and women. Partners: FDPD, American University in
Cairo, Ivanhoe International Center, SDSM &T, DTIVP board member,
University of Cincinnati, Lotus Solar Energy, Egypt; and (BUE) the Centre of
Sustainability and Future Studies (CSFS)
Membership of Scientific and Professional Societies:
- The president of AGTBE | The Association of Graduates & Trainees from Britain in Egypt from March 2013
- Member Board of The Egyptian Society of Architects June 2011
- The Egyptian Syndicate of Engineers (Coordinator of Hope and Work Competition to
build the Man and Communities of Suze Canal Region 2015)
- The Egyptian Society of Engineers
- The Arab Archaeological Union
- The American Research Center in Egypt
- The Egyptian Exploration Society
- The Tohoti Committee (NGO)
- The Environmental and Health law Committee (NGO)
Conference Presentations related to Luxor and cultural heritage
1. Role of Cairo's Hybrid Cultural Spaces in Creating Sense of Place", Spaces and Flows: An International Journal of Urban and Extra Urban Studies, ISSN: 2154-8676 (Print) ISSN: 2154-8684 (Online) 2014
2. "Revival of Historical Hajj Transportation Networks: Potential Impact on Tourism Development and Cultural Resources Preservation". The Third National Built Heritage Forum, KSA, ISBN: 978-6038136 – 24 – 9, December 2013
3. "Investment as a base of heritage area conservation: Case study (Fatimid Khalif El-Muizz Ledin Allah Street)". The Third National Built Heritage Forum, KSA, ISBN: 978-6038136 – 24 – 9, December 2013
4. "Al Madinah Al Munawwarah Heritage between Investment and Adaptive Reuse: Analytical Study for the reuse of Hejjaz Train Station" The Third National Built Heritage Forum, KSA, ISBN: 978-6038136 – 24 –9, December 2013
5. "Sustainability and Rehabilitation of Heritage Buildings: A case study of the Ottoman Quseir fort, Red Sea, Egypt" First International Conference for Urban & Architecture Heritage in Islamic Countries: Its role in Cultural & Economic Development, KSA, 23-28 May 2010.
6. "Urban Conservation and the investment concepts: a futuristic vision for managing
heritage environments in Egypt", Conservation 2007, Dubai, February 2007.
7. "Luxor Future: Between Chance of Investment and Investments Opportunities", Heritage Cities Conference, Luxor, Egypt 29th November, 2nd December 2006.
8. Cultural Heritage and Tourism: Luxor of Egypt? Las Vegas?" II International
Cultural Heritage Conference, Córdoba, Argentina, 6th – 9th May 2004.
9. Rashed. A, El Attar M, paper titled “Strategic planning and enabling of Youth and scientific research: as an approach towards the sustainable development in Egypt. How to write the history of the future, the fifth Conference of Egyptian Engineers in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh, 15-17 May 2013.
10. Rashed. A, El Azab. M, paper titled “Social reality and the issues of housing needs in Egypt after the 25th of January 2011: How can we write the history of the future? 18th International Conference on Open Building, Beijing, China, November 2012.
11. Rashed. A El Azab. M paper titled: “Egypt and Hassan Fathy’s ideas after the 25th of January 2011. How can we write the history of the future?”, TerrAsia 2011 international conference, 2011 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON EARTHEN ARCHITECTURE IN ASIA, Mokpo, Republic of Korea, October 11th – 14th, 2011
12. Rashed. A, Soudani, M paper titled: “Studying The Role of VLS-PV Systems into the Egyptian Coastal Communities”, IAPS International Network Symposium 2011, October 10th – 14th, Daegu, Korea.
13. Rashed. A Soudani, M and Sheta, S Paper titled “Modeling of VLS-PV Community for Desert Sustainable Development; the Case of Development Corridor, Egypt”, 10th International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations (ICEBO 2010), Kuwait, October 26 - 28, 2010. This paper was chosen as the best paper of the conference.