Why would I choose the Department of English Language and Literature at the BUE over other institutions?

The Department of English Language and Literature at the BUE has outstanding programmes which qualify its graduates to benefit from our nationally and internationally recognised scholars. 

How many students are admitted each year to the Department of English Language and Literature?

The number of students accepted depends on the quality of the applicants.

What academic background do I need to be eligible for entry?

Since we aim at building an interdisciplinary community of scholars, we have a set of standards for admission which you can find on the Student Affairs page of the BUE website.

Can I find out more about the different specialisms at the Department of English Language and Literature?

The Department hosts distinguished academic programmes and majors. The Department offers a BA. (Hons) in English Language and Literature with the following majors:
  • BA English Language and Literature (General)
  • BA English Language and Literature (Applied Linguistics)
  • BA English Language and Literature (Translation)

Can I apply to more than one specialism?

You may only apply to one specialism. However, each specialism you study relies on a number of elective modules from other specialisms to enrich your learning experience. 

When do I choose my specialism?

You can choose your specialism by the end of your second year at the Department. 

What would I do if I am not sure what I want my specialism to be?

It happens, so do not worry! In the first two years, you will study different modules across various disciplines which would help you choose your specialism. We suggest that you choose a specialism that you enjoy so that you can easily achieve success. Also, you can approach our advising team to guide you on how to choose your specialism.

How do I change my specialism?

Please visit the admin office and check the Student Handbook.

Do I need to choose modules?

You will have this opportunity in years 3 and 4. Please refer to the Department’s admin office for further assistance.

What if I have missed a deadline?

We expect you to meet all deadlines or else accept the consequences with regards to the missed deadline. Still if you miss any deadline for a valid reason, you have to submit an IP form. For further information, please refer to the Student Handbook or visit the Admin office. 

Where do I go if I need further help?

The admin office for the Department of English Language and Literature is located on the 1st floor of building 13, office number 1. 

Where are the offices of my module leaders?

Please check the profile of your module leader, and you will find his/her office number and exact location. 

How many years does it take to complete any given specialism at the Department?

It takes you 4 years to complete your degree. 

Can I fail the Preparatory year and still go on to the degree?

No. If you fail the Preparatory year, you must repeat the year. If you fail it a second time, you have to leave the University.

Will my degree be accepted inside and outside Egypt?

All degrees at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities are subject to validation by London South Bank University, the BUE’s partner University in the UK.

Do I have to study English in the Department of English Language and Literature?

Yes. The degree is BA – this means Bachelor of Arts and Humanities. It includes English because it is very important for your studies.

How many modules do I have to study?

Each semester you will study between five to six modules. Some modules are 10 credits, and some are 20 credits.

Can I apply for a Master’s degree anywhere if I get my BUE degree?

Definitely. Once the Faculty is fully validated by a UK University, so you graduate with two degree certificates – one from the BUE and one from the UK University.  The UK certificate is accepted throughout the world.

Will I be taught by British staff at the Department of English Language and Literature?

The degree is taught by staff from Egypt, Britain and USA. All staff are fully acquainted with the UK system of higher education.

If I have problems during my studies what help is available to me?

Every student is allocated a personal tutor who they can talk to about any issues. He/She will try to solve any problems that you face in relation to your studies.

Is there a lot of coursework and exams that I have to do?

The number of assessments for 10 and 20 credit modules are in the range of 3 to 4 assessments per module. 

What kind of job could I get with my degree?

There are many jobs available for our Department’s graduates. To name just a few examples: teaching at national and international institutions, banking and human resources, legal, literary, at sight, consecutive, technical, economic, financial and commercial, translation, interpreting at international organisations such as United Nations, UNESCO and the Red Cross, copywriting, editing and proofreading in publishing houses, technical writing and research in national and international organisations, computational linguistics and education management.

What types of courses are offered by the Department?

The department offers courses that help you analyze various texts belonging to different genres with respect to the specialism you choose such as Stylistics. You will also strengthen your knowledge of disciplines other than your specialism through the elective courses you are required to study which include Creative Writing, Performance Studies and Second Language Acquisition. 

Are the Students going to get a validated Degree?

The University offers the students the opportunity of having two certificates- one from BUE validated by the Egyptian Supreme Council, and the second is from London South Bank University.

What kind of activities does the Department offer for the students?

The Department provides students with the following activities: writing competitions, role plays, publishing blogs, debate club and film critique. 

What is the Impaired Performance, and when should I use it?

The Impaired Performance form is very important in emergency situations. Students should fill the Impaired Performance form if they were sick, if someone died, if they missed an assessment or if they had an accident which affected their performance during the semester. Then, a committee will take place to decide whether the assessment they missed is going to be re-done or will be considered as 2nd attempt.

Are there available scholarships for undergraduate students, and what are the required scores to obtain these scholarships?

Students are instructed to contact the Student Admission to ask about the necessary information because they are the specialised committee in these matters.